The Story of Charlie Lindsay, A Most Unlikely Hooligan

By Ryan Ferguson

The late seventies heralded the start of a dark period for Tranmere Rovers. A return to the fourth tier was followed by dwindling fan interest and turmoil in the boardroom. Yet, amid the gloom, as attendances fell and results failed to excite, some great characters shone through. Despite chronic struggles on the pitch, this era has almost taken on a mythic significance, thanks to the spirit and humour that pervaded at Prenton Park. One story in particular still echoes through the club’s folklore as deeply illustrative of the time.

It was a cool Friday night in Birkenhead. September 28th, 1979. AFC Bournemouth were in town to play Rovers in a fairly mundane fixture. Liverpool were away to Nottingham Forest the following day, while Everton prepared to take on Bristol City at Goodison Park. Therefore, Tranmere executives hoped for a decent crowd, despite the mammoth journey incurred by the visitors. In the end, that didn’t quite materialise, as just 2,803 hardy souls gathered at Prenton Park.

Tranmere were still adjusting to life back in the basement of English football after three seasons in Division Three. A young Johnny King was enduring his first spell as Rovers boss, as money dried up and problems began to mount. A number of star players had been sold to balance the books, namely Bobby Tynan and Ronnie Moore, leaving Tranmere with few attractions as crowds sagged to 2,245 on average. Only 259 season tickets were sold, which was actually an increase from 153 the previous year but still not enough to safeguard the club’s immediate future. Rovers were spiralling towards a dark period that culminated in the disastrous ownership of American tycoon Bruce Osterman.

Morale was certainly low among the fans, and that mood soured as Bournemouth played some exhibition stuff. The visitors raced to a 5-0 lead in effortless style, as a Tranmere team featuring Ray Mathias and Eddie Flood capitulated. Late in the second half, Bournemouth, managed by Alec Stock, eased up and began to run down the clock. That was the catalyst for one enraged pensioner to write his name in the Tranmere Rovers history books.

Charlie Lindsay was 72-years old. Very little is known about his background, other than that he was a loyal Tranmere fan and a regular in the Cowshed at Prenton Park. That’s exactly where he stood on the fateful night Bournemouth ran amok, and he didn’t like it. With about ten minutes to go, as the Cherries won a goal-kick, Lindsay hurdled the railing and stormed towards the visiting goalkeeper, Kenny Allen, who he then proceeded to thrash across the backside with his walking stick.

Charlie Lindsay attacks Kenny Allen.

“He was wearing a pork pie hat and had a walking stick in one hand and his false teeth in the other!,” Allen told the Bournemouth Echo in 2010. “He was moaning at me because we were beating his team. I told him he needed to whack his own goalkeeper because he was the one who had let in the goals. The police frog-marched him away and, as he reached the Main Stand, he doffed his hat.”

Indeed, Lindsay was arrested on the spot and escorted out of Prenton Park. The sound of laughter rumbled through the ground, as fans serenaded the smartly-dressed pitch invader. In the same report, the Bournemouth Echo claimed that Lindsay was also banned from attending games for two years by Birkenhead Magistrates Court. This quite possibly makes him Britain’s oldest football hooligan.

Rovers eventually finished fifteenth that season, which undoubtedly would have annoyed Lindsay. In October, shortly after the great walking stick assault of Borough Road, Tranmere agreed a shirt sponsorship deal for the first time, too, which made for a lot more grumpy old men in Birkenhead.

Very little was ever heard of Lindsay again. It’s unknown whether he ever returned to watch his beloved Tranmere, but a few unconfirmed whispers suggest he’s now buried at Landican cemetery. For many years, the iconic photo of him attacking Allen hung proudly in one of the hallways inside the Main Stand at Prenton Park. It was highly symbolic of a dreary age for Rovers, but also of an age when the resilient soul of a dedicated fanbase was ever so apparent.

Follow @PlanetPrentonia on Twitter
Follow @RyanFergusonHQ on Twitter
Like Planet Prentonia on Facebook


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s